Congratulations on your engagement! We are delighted that you are interested in being married in church. St John’s offers a beautiful and intimate setting in which to celebrate your love for one another through the sacrament of marriage. We will do everything we can to make it a very special day for you.
Can anyone get married at St John’s?
You can be married in St John’s Church if you meet one of a number of different criteria. These include:
- One or both of you live in the parish (you can check this by putting your postcode into the website ‘A Church Near You’ at www.acny.co.uk)
- You worship with us regularly (once a month or more) for at least six months before your wedding
- You have another recognised connection with the parish (for example, one of you was baptised or confirmed in the parish)
Please contact us to discuss this further.
How do I book a wedding?
- The first step is to get in touch with the Vicar (Rev David Ford) who is responsible for all weddings at St John’s. If it is possible for you to be married here, he will guide you through the application process and discuss possible dates with you. He can also answer most of the questions you will have about weddings.
- There will then be a series of wedding and marriage preparation meetings culminating in the wedding rehearsal that normally takes place one or two days before the wedding day.
- I also operate a ‘surgery hour’ on Sundays from 11.15am (after morning service). Please feel free to come and meet with me in the Church Hall for an informal discussion and enjoy refreshments with the congregation. Why not join us for our family service beforehand!
Who will marry you?
The Vicar, Rev David Ford, will probably lead the service. If you have friends or relatives who are ministers from other churches we will be pleased to explore with you how they can be involved in the service – for example by preaching, reading or leading the prayers.
How much does it cost?
The minimal cost of a wedding at St John’s is currently £505.00. A non-returnable deposit of £100 is payable when you book your wedding.
Rev David Ford